Legion Post 942 – Overview
We are a veterans organization in Webster that gets involved in our neighborhood. Volunteers from our Legion Post, Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion (SAL) have come together to jointly improve our neighborhood. We support our military and veterans, and sponsor Americanism, Patriotism, children and youth programs, cultural, educational and social community activities, as well as many types of community-building initiative.
The main goal of Cottreall-Warner Post 942 is to create a sense of community and patriotic spirit in the neighborhoods where people live and work. We hope that an increased sense of community will lead to more personal involvement and more cultural, educational and social activities, which will create a better community and a better place for us to live.
A Message To our Members from our Commander:
- Look at the big picture when you think of the Post and be willing to forego personal desires for “the good of the Legion”.
- Volunteer your time, talent and treasure to serve our veterans.
- Abandon the idea that if the game is not played your way, you will take your ball and go home…but bring your ball to each game and give it your best effort!
- All of us have the potential to make a difference
For God and Country Dan MacDonald, Post Commander
What We Do
Support regional veterans’ programs
- Veterans Outreach Center, annual donations and assistance
- Pearl Harbor Day Ceremony at the Rochester Yacht Club, supply Wreath
- Wreaths Across America at Sampson Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Romulus, NY
- Gold Star Family Memorial at White Haven Cemetery – served on the development project team and contributed with financial donations
Support local veterans’ programs
- Coordinate the Veterans Day Church Service and supply Color Guard Rifle Salute
- Coordinate the Veterans Day Ceremony and supply Color Guard Rifle Salute
- We visit several senior assist and nursing homes on Veterans Day to honor those who served.
- We visit local schools during Veterans Day week to talk to and educate students on our military experiences, flag etiquette and patriotism.
- Coordinate the Webster Memorial Day Parade & Ceremony at the Webster Rural Cemetery and supply Color Guard Rifle Salute
- Take part in the Webster Joint Veterans Committee Memorial Day decorating of veteran’s graves (place American Flags on every Veterans’ grave in The Webster Rural Cemetery and 3 other smaller cemeteries). Our Auxiliary places flowers on the graves of the veterans’ spouses.
- We help local veterans and/or their families that are in need of financial and/or moral and physical supportive: fund raiser for companion support dogs.
- We donate the use of our facility for fund raising events for local families and first responders that require financial assistance.
- We donate to local shelters, hospices and food pantries
- We donate to several Canandaigua VAMC holiday gift programs in addition our Auxiliary does visitations and put on Bingo events at MC Hospital.
- Donates to Honor Flights of Rochester.
Support local community programs
- We support our Boy Scout Troop 942 in youth and Eagle Scout programs.
- We support The American Legion Sport Shooting (Air Rifle) program; it is open at no cost to any youth in the area from age of 12 to19
- We support The American Legion Boy’s State program open to males that are a Junior in High School and in the upper percental of their class. It takes place at SUNY Morrisville; we pay for their tuition, transportation and housing while at the facility.
- We give a Bucks for Books Scholarship to one male and one female senior from our two High Schools ($300 each annually)
- We support The American Legion Baseball program; we presently do not have a team but support Monroe County A L Baseball financially throw our per capita membership donation ($1 per ~530 members).
- Our American Legion Family (Legionnaires/Auxiliary/Sons of the American Legion (SAL)/ and our American Legion Riders) all donate and fund local programs.
- Donate to the Monroe County Special Olympics ($300 annually)
- Donate to two Monroe County JROTC and one Sea Cadet programs ($300 each annually for summer camp or their programs)
- Donate and support multiple Webster community programs
Support National American Legion programs
- We support and donate to The National American Legion Comfort Warrior program that supplies the things that the VA doesn’t supply to wounded veterans.
- We support and donate to The National American Legion Legacy program that give free college tuition to children of those in the armed force that lost their live after 911 and have extended the program to children of those that have severe disabilities.
- We support and donate to The National American Emergency Relief Fund that give financial assistance to American veterans that have loses in national disasters